0333 444 8844 | hello@rootsfinancegroup.co.uk

What is offshore contractors insurance?

Working off of the mainland and offshore isn’t for everyone. Those who work as professionals in the oil, gas and renewable energy sector on oil rigs and wind platforms or substations need to ensure that they are appropriately covered for the range of risks they face whilst carrying out their work.

Public liability will almost always be a contractual requirement to commence work at an offshore location, with production of the required insurance required to be shown before leaving the mainland. A failure to have valid insurance in place will prohibit you from being able to earn a living, meaning it’s crucial to plan ahead and ensure you are covered.

Further insurances that should be considered to ensure complete peace of mind include professional indemnity, employers liability, legal expenses, directors and officers, office insurance, personal accident and cyber cover.

Section Breaker

Offshore Contractors Insurance Policy Features

Public liability

Almost always a contractual requirement for offshore workers, and with a £5m limit. It protects a business from the legal fees and compensation involved when a claim is made by a client or a member of the public that has suffered injury or property damage as a result of an accident you have caused.

Employers liability

Provides cover for legal representation and compensation arising from claims made against your company in respect of bodily injury or damage to property suffered by employees. It’s a legal requirement for any business with employees, but can only be bought as an add-on to a Public Liability policy.

Tailored cover
We have a wide range of options you can extend your policy with, including rope access work, manual work, work with heat and worldwide coverage, whilst we can also add on legal expenses, professional indemnity, directors & officer, cyber cover, and personal accident.

Common Offshore Contractors Insurance Questions

policy features
How quick can I get my policy documents?

You can get policy documents instantly if your profession is one listed on our sister site Roots Contractor Insurance otherwise we will get policy documents to you as soon as possible, which is on the same day as cover is confirmed.

policy features
What limit of cover do I need?

You should always check the contract that you have been issued with as this will contain a section stipulating the required insurances and levels of cover needed. Public liability is usually a minimum of £5m.

policy features
Am I covered for international work?

You will be covered for work abroad as long as it is occasional and not your main place of work. If you need full worldwide coverage, even if it includes the US and Canada we can look to arrange this for you.